8-Day Central Europe Itinerary: Vienna, Ljubljana, Bratislava and Budapest Travel Guide

 June 16, 2026 

 
 
Planning a budget trip to Central Europe? This 8-day Central Europe itinerary will take you to Vienna, Ljubljana, Lake Bled, Bratislava, and Budapest. I traveled mostly by FlixBus, stayed in hostels, and explored some of the most beautiful cities in Europe. 
If you love history, beautiful views, and affordable travel, this itinerary is for you.
 
Day 1: Germany to Vienna, Austria 
 
My trip started with a flight from Germany to Vienna. After arriving, I checked into Do Step Inn Central Hostel for one night.
I spent the rest of the day walking around the city and getting ready for my early bus the next morning.

Vienna is the capital of Austria. It was once the center of the powerful Habsburg Empire. Many famous musicians like Mozart and Beethoven lived here, making Vienna one of the music capitals of the world. 
 
Things to do in Vienna:
 
- Visit St. Stephen's Cathedral.
- Walk around the historic center.
- Visit Hofburg Palace 
- Austrian Parliament Building
Maria-Theresien-Platz 
- Rathaus 
  
Do Step Inn Central Hostel (Vienna)⭐ Rating: 4/5
Do Step Inn Central was a great choice for my first night in Vienna. The hostel is close to public transportation, making it easy to reach both the city center and the bus station. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, and the staff were helpful. Since I had an early 6:00 AM FlixBus the next morning, staying here was very convenient. If you're looking for a budget hostel in Vienna, I would recommend it for a short stay.

 

Travel Tip: Book your hostel early during summer because Vienna gets very busy. 

Day 2: Vienna to Ljubljana, Slovenia and Lake Bled
 
I woke up very early and took the 6:00 AM FlixBus from Vienna to Ljubljana. The journey took about 5 hours.
After checking into AdHoc Hostel, I took a local bus to Lake Bled. The ride was about 45 minutes, depending on traffic.
I spent around 4 hours exploring Lake Bled before taking the bus back to Ljubljana around 6:00 PM.
Later that evening, I rode the funicular up to Ljubljana Castle to enjoy the amazing view of the city. After that, I walked around the beautiful Old Town.

Things to do at Lake Bled:
 
- Walk around the lake.
- Visit Bled Castle.
- Take a traditional wooden boat to Bled Island.
- Try the famous Bled Cream Cake. 
 
Things to Do in Ljubljana:
 
- Ride the funicular to Ljubljana Castle.
- Walk across Dragon Bridge.
- Viit Preseren Square.
- Explore the Old Town along the river. 
 
Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia. It is one of Europe's greenest cities. The dragon is the city's symbol and can be seen on the famous Dragon Bridge. 
 
AdHoc Hostel (Ljubljana)⭐ Rating: 4.5/5
AdHoc Hostel has one of the best locations in Ljubljana. It is right in the Old Town, so you can walk to almost every major attraction, including Dragon Bridge, Preseren Square, and Ljubljana Castle. It was clean, comfortable, and perfect for backpackers.
 

 
Travel Tip: Buy your Lake Bled bus ticket early, especially during summer weekends. You can also buy at the bus driver on the day of your trip.

Day 3: Ljubljana to Bratislava, Slovakia 
 
I traveled from Ljubljana to Bratislava by FlixBus.The easiest route is through Vienna because there are more buses available. The trip from Vienna to Bratislava takes only about 45 minutes. After arriving, I checked into Patio Hostel for one night.
I spent the evening exploring Bratislava's Old Town.
 
Things to Do in Bratislava:
 
- Visit Bratislava Castle.
- Walk through Michael's Gate.
- See the famous Cumil Statue.
- Walk along the Danube River. 
 
Bratislava is the capital of Slovakia. It sits along the Danube River and has been an important city for kings, traders, and travelers for hundreds of years. 
 
Patio Hostel (Bratislava)⭐ Rating: 4/5
Patio Hostel is one of the most popular hostels in Bratislava for backpackers. The rooms were clean, and the common area was a nice place to meet other travelers. The hostel is only a short walk from the Old Town, making it easy to explore the city on foot. It offers great value for the price.

Travel Tip: Most attractions in Bratislava can be reached on foot. 

Day 4 and Day 5: Budapest, Hungary 
 
From Bratislava, I traveled to Budapest and stayed for 2 nights at Flow Spaces Hostel.
Budapest became one of my favorite cities because of its beautiful buildings, amazing nightlife. 
 
Things to Do in Budapest:
 
- Visit Buda Castle.
Walk across the Chain Bridge.
- See the Hungarian Parliament Building.
- Relax in Szechenyi Thermal Bath.
- Watch the sunset at Fisherman's Bastion.
- Try traditional Hungarian goulash. 
 
Budapest was created when the cities of Buda and Pest joined together in 1873. Today, it is one of the most beautiful capitals in Europe and is famous for the Danube River and its historic buildings. 
 
Flow Spaces Hostel (Budapest)⭐ Rating: 5/5
Flow Spaces was my favorite hostel on this trip. The location is excellent, close to public transportation, restaurants, ruin bars, and many of Budapest's top attractions. The hostel is modern, very clean, and has comfortable beds with privacy curtains. The staff were friendly and always ready to help with local recommendations. If you're backpacking through Budapest, I highly recommend staying here.

 

Travel Tip: Buy a 24-hour or 72-hour public transport pass if you plan to visit many attractions. Hungary uses the Hungarian Forint (HUF), not the Euro. However, you don't need much cash. Most places accept contactless bank cards. If you do need cash for tips, public toilets, or small kiosks, it's best to withdraw Forints from an on-street bank ATM to avoid the terrible exchange rates at airport or currency-exchange kiosks.

Day 6: Budapest to Vienna 
 
I took another FlixBus back to Vienna. The journey took about 3 hours. This time, I stayed at my friend's house, which gave me more time to enjoy Vienna without worrying about hotel costs.
You can spend the day visiting museums, shopping, or simply relaxing in one of Vienna's beautiful parks.

 
Day 7: Back to Vienna
 
I spent my last full day exploring more of Vienna.
 
Some great places to visit include:
 
- Belvedere Palace
- Naschmarkt 
- Vienna State Opera
- Museums Quartier
- Prater Park and the Giant Ferris Wheel

Vienna has a calm atmosphere and is a wonderful city to enjoy before heading home.

 
Day 8: Flight Back to Germany
 
After an unforgettable trip through Central Europe, it was finally time to fly back to Germany.
In just eight days, I visited four countries and experienced beautiful lakes, castles, old towns, delicious food, and rich history.
It was one of the best backpacking trips I have ever taken.
 

Budget Travel Tips for Central Europe:
  • Book FlixBus tickets early to get cheaper prices.
  • Stay in hostels to save money.
  • Carry some cash because small shops may not accept cards.
  • Wear comfortable walking shoes.
  • Bring a reusable water bottle.
  • Download offline maps before traveling. 

 

Final Thoughts

This 8-day Central Europe backpacking itinerary is perfect if you want to visit several countries without spending too much money. Traveling between Vienna, Ljubljana, Lake Bled, Bratislava, and Budapest is easy, especially with FlixBus.

Each city has its own unique history, culture, and charm. From the peaceful beauty of Lake Bled to the grand buildings of Budapest and the elegant streets of Vienna, every stop was worth visiting.

If you are planning your own Central Europe adventure, I highly recommend this route. It is affordable, easy to follow, and full of unforgettable experiences.

You Might Also Like

0 comments